Too much goo?

If you are a denture wearer and use an adhesive regularly, be aware of the contents in your adhesive!  Many denture adhesives contain zinc, which is a mineral that is needed in the human body, but it can turn toxic if too much is ingested.  The intake of excess zinc can have adverse neurological effects.  When applying your adhesive, it is important to follow the instructions in order to not overuse the adhesive.  Overuse of the denture adhesive can cause you to ingest toxic levels of zinc over time and create a copper deficiency.

If you have found yourself using more and more denture adhesive, it could be due to the fit of your denture.  Over time, the bone underneath the denture recedes or shrinks and will effect the fit of your denture, making it wobble or rub in certain places.  This is a time where patients tend to use more denture adhesive than recommended  to get the denture to stay in place.  To maintain the proper fit of your denture, you should see a dentist every six months to have it evaluated.  The average life expectancy is around 10 years and in this time, you should expect to need to have your denture relined to refit your changing mouth about every 3 years.

With a conventional denture, you will have naturally occurring bone loss no matter how often you see your dentist.  The use of dental implants to avoid the bone loss and retain the denture has become more and more popular.  The implantsact as roots and retain the level of bone longer.  This fit allows the denture to stay in place without the use of denture adhesives.